January 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM in Financial assistance

If I go to work full time how will my insurance be affected?

I am 36 years old and want to go back to work full time. I am currently on Medicare and Medicaid. Can you tell me what exactly I will be eligable to pay for if I don't have insurance at work? I understand that I will lose my Medicaid once I lose my SSI check each month. But will I still be covered by Medicare, and if so, where can I go to find out exactly what it covers?

Asked by  

default user image

tlucord

Expert answer

Maureen Y., MSW, LSW replied:


Hello. You are correct: if you return to work full time, you would lose your Medicaid benefits. However, you can return to work full time and still maintain your Medicare insurance coverage, but you will most likely be responsible for paying your Part B premium of Medicare. The Part B premium is approximately $115.00 per month and Medicare would send you a premium bill every quarter for that it. Medicare Part A pays for hospital stays and the Part B pays for outpatient services, such as outpatient dialysis, outpatient testing, etc. Medicare pays for 80 percent of medical expenses. I recommend that you meet with your dialysis center social worker in regards to obtaining a Medicare supplement (which would pay the remaining 20 percent that Medicare does not cover). Your social worker may be able to get you financial assistance to pay for the Medicare B premium as well as the Medicare supplemental plan. If your employer offers you an employee group health plan (EGHP), that may be an option. For additional guidance, follow up with your social worker. Best wishes.

Ask a question

YourKidneys.com members Join the community



Forgot password?

Ask our experts.
Got a question? Our panel of experts are here to answer your questions.

Join the conversation.
Hear what others have to say on the message boards.

Share your thoughts.
As you learn more about kidney disease, we like to hear what you have to say about our articles.


It takes less than 1 minute.
Questions about

Discussion forum

message boards

Write what's on your mind. Share answers. View the boards now »

Kidney education

THE BASICS »

Kidney disease for newbies

The stages were developed to help doctors determine the appropriate treatment for their patients.
Post a comment | 2 responses

TREATMENTS »
Can I make it all better?

Kidneys do a lot more than produce urine. These amazing, fist-sized, bean-shaped organs have a big responsibility in the body. Find out what they do and how they do their jobs.
Post a comment | 0 responses

SYMPTOMS & DIAGNOSIS »

5 signs of kidney disease

After being diagnosed with chronic kidney disease it's important to learn all you can about the disease
Post a comment | 5 responses

PREVENTION »

How to control sugar and influence your diabetes

A kidney transplant is a treatment option for people with chronic kidney disease.
Post a comment | 4 responses

FOOD & NUTRITION »

10 best foods to help your kidneys

Lower protein diets may help the kidneys because they won’t have to work so hard.
Post a comment | 8 responses

yk80